Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Warmer weather




I don't know about where you live, but the last week or so in Brisbane has been HOT! Unseasonally hot for September! And I think the weather has caught a few people, and piggies by surprise. Unfortunately I've heard of so many heat-stroke related guinea pig deaths in the last few days that I decided we needed to do something to help keep our pigs keep cool.

I was given this old curtain yesterday to possibly use as another cooler bedding alternative to polar fleece. It's just your basic thick cotton with the blockout backing. I sewed a couple of ties to the corners of the curtain, then looped them around the points on the roof of the cage. It's the perfect length to then drape over the side of the perimeter fence, meaning a large chunk of cage floor space is shaded without blocking the airflow.



It was so simple, yet so effective. I can already feel the temperature difference when I walk in there, so hopefully the girls have a more comfortable day today than they have the last few!

No comments:

Post a Comment